A small, flexible rod (the size of a matchstick) put under the skin of the upper arm.
It releases the hormone progestogen, which stops ovulation, thickens cervical mucus, and thins the lining of the uterus to prevent pregnancy.
The implant is over 99% effective.
- Works for 3 years, but can be removed sooner
- Don’t have to think about contraception for as long as it lasts
- Fertility returns immediately once it is removed, with no long-term effects
- Not affected by diarrhoea and vomiting, as not absorbed by the tummy
- No link to weight gain
- May make periods lighter and less painful
- Bleeding may stop or become irregular or heavier
- No protection against STI’s
- Requires a small procedure to fit/remove it, but only takes a few minutes
- Inserted using a local anaesthetic and no stitches are needed
- Tenderness and bruising may occur after fitting, but resolve in a few days
- You can feel the implant with your fingers, but it can’t be seen